Freedom of Information Act: England model publication scheme
This document complies with the requirements of the Information Commissioner’s Model Publication Scheme for Mackereth Opticians Ltd in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and fulfills the obligations on opticians’ practices under the Act.
This is a complete guide to the information routinely made available to the public by Mackereth Opticians Ltd. It is a description of the information about our NHS services that we make publicly available. It will be reviewed at regular intervals.
How is the information available?
The information within each class is available in hard copy from:
Jeremy Topliss, Mackereth Opticians Ltd, 6 Regent Street, Halifax HX1 2SE
Or can be printed from this page of the website: www.mackerethopticians.co.uk.
For the most part, we will not charge for copies. Charges are as follows and will be reviewed regularly.
- Accessed from our website – free of charge
- Single hard copies – free of charge.
- As the Freedom of Information Act applies to the provision of information, a request for multiple hard copies does not fall within the provisions of the Act and will attract a charge for retrieval, photocopying and postage. We will inform you of the cost of charges that need to be paid in advance.
- Email will be free of charge.
Your rights to information
- The Freedom of Information Act 2000 is designed to promote openness and accountability amongst all organisations that receive public money.
- Like all NHS contractors, since 1 January 2005 there has been a FOI obligation on optical practices to respond to requests about the NHS related information that they hold, and a right of access to that information has been established in law.
- These rights are subject to exemptions (see below) that have to be taken into consideration before releasing information.
- In addition to accessing the information identified in this guide, you are entitled to request information about our NHS services under the NHS Openness Code 1995.
- Under the Data Protection Act 1998 and GDPR, you are also entitled to access your clinical records or any other personal information held about you and you can contact any practice where your records are held to do this.
If you have any comments about the operation of the Publication Scheme, or how we have dealt with your request for information from the scheme, please write to: Jeremy Topliss, Mackereth Opticians, 6 Regent Street, Halifax HX1 2SE.
Classes of Information
All NHS information at Mackereth Opticians Ltd is held, retained and destroyed within NHS guidelines. Our commitment to publish information excludes any information that can be legitimately withheld under the exemptions set out in the NHS Openness Code or Freedom of Information Act 2000, the main reasons being the protection of commercial interests and personal information under the Data Protection Act 1998. This scheme has been written in accordance with those exemptions. The information on this scheme is grouped into the following categories:
Who we are and what we do
- Mackereth Opticians is a limited company with one optometry practice at 6 Regent Street, Halifax HX1 2SE. Tel 01422 352883.
- Details of the opticians and optometrists employed in our practice can be obtained by contacting that practice directly.
- Alternatively, details of all opticians and optometrists registered in the UK are available from the General Optical Council.
- Company registration number is 7712773.
Financial and funding information: what we spend and how we spend it
For every sight test performed on behalf of the NHS the practice receives a set fee, which is fixed nationally. This practice also carries out the following enhanced services on behalf of the NHS: Cataract refinement scheme, glaucoma refinement scheme, ocular hypertension scheme and PEARS scheme.
The fees paid by the NHS for each service are available from the practice on request. They include a contribution towards optometrists’ and staff salaries, equipment costs and other practice overheads. Information in this class will be published only where it is unlikely adversely to affect the commercial position of the firm or practice.
To provide our patients with high quality eye care.
Any decisions made about the provision of NHS-funded services will be reflected in the services we provide and in the contract(s) held with NHS England local health boards.
Our policies and procedures
- Data protection
- Health and safety
They are available on request from Jeremy Topliss, Mackereth Opticians, 6 Regent Street, Halifax HX1 2SE.
If you have a complaint about any of our products or services, please do discuss any problems with owner Jeremy Topliss in the first instance. We find that most issues can be put right at this stage.
Lists and registers
We don’t keep lists and registers. Our patient records are confidential.
The services we offer
Mackereth Opticians Ltd provides NHS-funded sight tests for those who are eligible. Patients may also be entitled to NHS vouchers that can be used against the purchase of spectacles or contact lenses as required. To find out if you are eligible for this assistance, visit the Department of Health website (link to Department of Health NHS charges) or you ask for details in our practice.
The practice also provides the following NHS-funded enhanced services: cataract refinement scheme, glaucoma refinement scheme, ocular hypertension scheme and PEARS scheme.
Appointments for sight tests can be booked over the phone on 01422 352883 or by dropping into the practice at 6 Regent Street, Halifax HX1 2SE.
Our opening times are: Monday-Friday 9.00-17.30 Saturday 9.00-12.30.
Regular publications and information for the public
Information about optical and ocular conditions, sight tests, spectacles, and contact lenses, can be found on our website www.mackerethopticians.co.uk and the College of Optometrists website www.college-optometrists.org
Some of this information is also available in patient leaflets. These are freely available from all our practice. To request a set of leaflets by post, please write to:
Jeremy Topliss, Mackereth Opticians Ltd, 6 Regent Street, Halifax HX1 2SE.
- Information Commissioner https://ico.org.uk
- Ministry of Justice www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice
- NHS Openness Code
- Freedom of Information Act 2000
This document has been created by the AOP, ABDO, FODO and the College of Optometrists. Material available through this publication scheme is copyright unless otherwise indicated. Unless expressly indicated to the contrary, it may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium, provided it is done so accurately in a manner that will not mislead. Where items are re-published or copied to others, you must identify the source and acknowledge copyright status. This permit does not extend to third party material, accessed through the scheme.
For HMSO Guidance notes on FOI publication schemes see www.hmso.gov.uk/guides.htm.